Sunday, August 9, 2009

Flashback "Here Is New York"



Yesterday, Bettina my intern was helping me prep for this video I'm styling in Toronto Canada. We were shopping Uptown passing by the construction of the anticipated Devi Kroell store then on to the luxe corner that houses Hermes and then in a moment I turned my head and noticed this coffee shop. I paused instantly my mind relegated into an instant flashback my second day in NY years ago. I was doing returns in my lime green chucks soaked from all the snow. I remember the coffee shop being everything I knew NY would be. Quick and sophisticated. The conversations were hip and cultural. Everyone inches apart from each other yet so distant. 
It was a magical moment particularly because my sister just sent me E. B White's Here is New York remarkable essay on the NY experience. The new york times has chosen "Here is New York" as one of the ten best books ever written about the grand metropolis. It is witty and perceptive and the feeling is just as potent as when it was written some 50 plus years ago.

1 comment: